“Design Thinking and Citizenship”
Students in Grade Six who have met the HWDSB criteria for GIFTED will be invited to attend the Enrichment and Innovation Centre program. Permission and Consent forms were delivered to the schools in mid-September indicating which group the student has been assigned and the dates of each session. Please see the menu (on the side page) and refer to the class for specific information about the sessions. The program may look different for each individual class as planning and facilitation are personalized based on the needs of the student and schools.
A Special Assignment teacher has been assigned to a specific class as well as schools. Please ensure you are contacting the school Learning Resource Teacher if you have any questions and the will contact the Centre.
Grade Six Program:
- There will be SIX SESSIONS for Grade Six students that meet the HWDSB criteria for Gifted. These sessions will be in blocks of three days. Students will have an opportunity for an experiential learning session during at least one of these sessions. More information will be sent to schools and added to the website when the time is closer.
- Students will participate in activities and lesson that involve 21st Century Journalism methods, tools, and resources. They will understand how to be active‘Citizen Journalists’ by exploring many facets of the world around them.
- The overall intent is to help them better identify their strengths and weaknesses, to advocate for themselves and to work both independently and collaborative in a given situation.
- We will use Inquiry and Problem Based methods for instruction and will emphasize a hands-on approach to learning.
- The Centre will provide an environment for students to engage in the topics and activities that interest them
- We also have hubs set around the classroom that focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and ARTS
- While at the center, the students will participate in both self-directed learning as well as a whole class focused activities that are built around real-world problems and solutions.
Sample Day Schedule for the Gifted Program:
9:30/10:00 → Students arrive at the Centre by taxi or by a parent (predetermined) as per consent forms
10:00 – 11:30 → Students participate in passion-based, self-directed learning activities (hubs set up around the classroom to choose from). Teachers work with small groups.
11:30 – 12:10 → Lunch, Exercise, Play, and independent/small group activities
12:10 – 1:30 → Focused Inquiry-based, problem-based lesson
1:30 – 2:00 → Consolidation and sharing (Students will share a tea this time)
2:00 → Transportation back to home-school via bus, taxi or parent